Thursday, May 5, 2011

Single Mom Serenade!

Mother's Day is fast approaching...does every mother wonder how their day is going to be spent?  What their kids are going to do for them? Is their husbands going to pull through with a nice "day off" with the kids helping with everything?  I'm sure this happens to dads, on Father's day....The slight difference I, and many others, have over other mothers is that there is no husband taking care of things and helping the kids make the day great so mom can have a "day off."  Don't get me wrong, I don't have this by choice...I made my bed and this is part of having to lay in it...For a while I was wondering who is going to teach my daughter the value of Mother's Day and Father's Day and at four how is she going to say I want to get this for mommy...not so much of wondering as I was stressing over it...unnecessarily stressing over it...I've not always been a single mom, thankfully I did have a time where I was blessed with the husband and father...it's been a couple years since I have had that so most days I don't think about how lonely it is after Raleigh's asleep, how nice it would be to not be the one cooking or taking the trash out, etc.  But last night was different...I was laying there alone, no one to share my day with or watch my favorite show with, and I realized I had mother's day all wrong...Everyday with my child is mother's day...Raleigh doesn't need to buy me something for me to know that she loves me and appreciates me..she already does that...At any moment in my life Raleigh will pick a random flower and say its for me, draw a picture and say its for me, have her dad cut her hair off and then tell me she wanted hers to look like mine...Who's going to teach her about Mother's Day?  I will!  On the specified "Mother's Day" I will explain to her what it's about and that we are going to go to Church and eat and do fun things with each other...maybe do some crafts or let her play with bubbles and chalk regardless of the temperature and how windy it is...and we will do it together...we will spend it with my mother, her G G and maybe even our friends...So even though this single mom thing can get lonely and stressful and some days I wonder why I put myself in this situation, I will always know that alone I am not for I have Raleigh, stressed I am not because I do have help and Raleigh's personality (most of the time) melts that away...as for my choice in becoming a single mom...well...Raleigh will learn it's less stress on her...So if someone says being a single mom is easy, they are lying...if a married mother says it's easy, well they are lying too...neither way is "easy"...what the heck is "easy" anyways?  But however a mother you are, for me it's being a single mom and everyday seeing her makes everything worth it!  I love that little girl and this will be the best mother's day yet, because I am realizing what is truly important about this upcoming day, my situation and my family...

No comments:

Post a Comment